We then started our travels to Idaho Falls. It was great! If you are ever to meet a girl's parents a car trip is the perfect "trap." There is no escape. This sounds like is was a bad thing, which it wasn't but the concept is just too good not to revile in a little.
The five of us drove I-15 northbound in Betty, Lindsay's pride and joy... her car. I remember talking about music and politics (pepsi boycott) on the drive up but nothing else sticks out too much in my mind at this moment, regarding our conversation. Scott and Lesli are great!
We first arrived at the Walker's, Lesli's parents. This being my second visit to Idaho Falls was pretty natural. Grandpa Walker and I get along great. We went to a birthday party of one of the cousins. It was quite funny to watch many of them wonder who the heck I was. Later, I finally met Grandpa Bob. He was built up as an old man with attitude, which may be true, but I like him.
Lesli then took Kristin back to Provo so she could be to class the next morning. I played "mormon bridge" or "oh! heck" as we call it in the James family. I was doing really well up until the end. I lost one hand and came in second place. We slept over at the Pennock grandparent's home.
Uncle Gary the night before offered Lindsay and I to take out his snowmobiles. We went out to the end of Bone and we had a blast. Lindsay was a natural on the machines. We peeled off and climbed some hills. I was trying to ensure Lindsay was feeling confident. We decided it was about time to turn around, but I wanted to get in some pine trees and quakies. As we were approaching the pines I was in heaven. I love the mountains so much. I should note that we were a ways off the main trail at this point. The trail we took through the pine trees was super bumpy. I wanted to take a different way out and so we crossed a riverbed area. As we continued on I realized we weren't getting much of anywhere. I started to turn around and got my machine really stuck.
This is where the story gets interesting. I've gotten stuck more than most people I know and even a few times on snow mobiles. I was going through everything that I knew to get this sled out. I was frustrated to no end. I tied up the other snowmobile to the stuck one (remember this was mine) and the rope broke. I was getting to the point that swearing was feeling like a good alternative. I then turned to Lindsay and said that we needed to pray. We knelt over the unstuck snowmobile (but don't get any alter thoughts going here...) and prayed.
I knew that I needed to pray in faith and so I continued trying to pull it out with the snowmobile and getting that one stuck a time or four as a result. Lindsay was great in spite of my obvious frustration. She kept complimenting me on my knots and such. I should note that as she and I were pushing and pulling on this stuck snowmobile it was warm and we were sinking in the snow to the river below and that brought a stark reality to me. We were on a riverbed! Somewhere along these tries I had Lindsay call her dad and tell him that we were stuck and we would be late to lunch and that we would call him after we got the machine out.
I believe in the power of prayer. I was trying to find an address for a suit sale a few weeks ago and was a little lost. I was talking to Nicole on the phone and she told me that I should pray. This morning I couldn't find my keys and I threw up a prayer to find my keys. I know that they are answered when asked in faith.
Nearly two hours later I got behind the sled and I offered up another prayer. I told Heavenly Father that I know sometimes we are simply given or even put ourselves in positions of "learning opportunities." I told Him that if there is something that I needed to learn then I will learn it but I also know that He can move mountains and He easily move this sled. I started up the machine and knew that I was either going to really sink it down more or it would work. BAM! it popped right out and Lindsay was ecstatic! She asked if we should offer a prayer of gratitude and I told her let's get completely out of the riverbed area first.... I wish I would've listened to her a little better. ha!
As we were going along to get out there was a big dip and then the final river crossing. As Lindsay was keeping right up with me, she hit this deep, which pulled her back and caused her to clinch the gas a little too much, she flew off the trail, and ski first into the river bed. This caused her to fly off of the machine. I looked back and saw what had happened. I ran to see the after math. The machine was as described and Lindsay was in a lifeless position on the snow with her boot 15 ft away. I asked if she was alright. No response. I, knowing Lindsay somewhat, yelled asking if she were physically alright. She nodded her helmet yes and I grabbed her boot and checked on the sled.
It was a warm day and the snow was super slushy. We were falling in the snow left and right with every step. After assessing the situation I knew there was no way of simply pulling out this sled. I think Lindsay's pride was hurt most of all. I tried to console her, after all I had been in this situation before. My words had little to no effect so I just held her. After a few minutes we called her dad and I explained the situation and what was needed to get us out.
With all of the snow and sleet I was a bit disoriented in getting us back on the main trail but we eventually found it and were headed back to the drop off point to meet her Scott (and crew).
I would've thought it was the Search and Rescue or Elder's quorum if I hadn't known better (or I mean high priest group) just by seeing our rescue posse.
The night before Uncle Gary was telling us about he and his father-in-law going snowmobiling and how he wanted Gary to get on the sled with him and show him how things worked. Gary told him that guys never get on a sled together.
There we were Scott, Dale (who looked like an older Grizzly Adams), and I on one snowmobile. That was a picture to remember forever. ha!
The snowmobile came out quite easily with the tow straps, come-a-long, and muscle. By easily I mean an hour's worth of work. We met up with the rescue posse, consisting of Grandpa Bob, Uncle Dave, and others as fore-mentioned.
We later found out that Linsay had hyper-extended her knee and bruised her other thigh. This suspected by by her flying of the sled and hitting her legs on the handlebars.
I thought that this was a quite the experience. I relish my time with my father and it was cool to see Scott spend some good time with his dad and Lesli had time to spend with her parents. And lest I forget, Aunt Gigi made some sandwiches for which I am grateful.
As we packed up and readied for leaving Idaho Falls, a little later than planned, we couldn't leave without a stop to the Gang Plank. This was a Restaurant that Grandpa Walker had started and since sold. The food was great, if you like seafood, which I do.
I didn't get a lot of time to talk to Lesli on the trip but I asked her on the drive home if I passed and she said yes.
1 comment:
This was an Awesome Adventure for Reedo Burrito :) We can't wait to see you guys next week!!!
Post a Comment