Tuesday, January 13, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL PROMPTINGS

I was called to the Elder's Quorum Presidency, 1st counselor, about 2 months ago.  In my setting apart I was told that I would receive the vision that our Elder's quorum needs to take to accomplish the Lord's work.  Since then I have been inquiring of the Lord what we should do.

I kept getting the same thoughts that I should go to school next semester.  I was planning to take a semester off and focus on the suit business.  I was fighting this prompting a little too hard.

I thought about Joseph Smith and his family and all that they had to go through just to get geologically close enough to the plates.  Joseph Smith Sr. had crops fail, crop money stolen, and family illnesses.  And here I am fighting a prompting to continue to go to school that thereby I can have the career I truly desire.

(I will make another post of an experience that has led me to my decision to teach).

Over the Christmas break I visited my Brother, Richard, and his family.  It was an awesome visit and I miss them muchos.  One night Melissa, Richard's wife, and I were talking.  We were setting up "the plan." 

I love how Melissa shoots it straight.  She won't try to give you or I too much fluff but just says it how it is.  Don't get me wrong, she isn't mean or overbearing but rather bold; like a bold missionary calling others to repentance. ha!

I decided I would put more focus on school, get done, and then put some more time onto other business ideas. Thanks Melissa.

Upon returning to Utah I set up an appointment with a counselor to layout the battle plan.  She saw that I was working towards a Biology degree and have aspirations to teach.  In my mind I would do a Biology degree and later a teaching certificate.  She made it very clear that in doing such the odds were against me.  I would either be hired at possible less pay or have to prove qualifications were above that of others applying for the jobs.

After some good humility, I licked my wounds and am now fighting for a Biology Education Degree.  I hope now that I have humbled myself and heeded the Lord's personal prompting to me I can seek to help the Elder's quorum and ward.

3 comments:

Our Family Adventures said...

You are in a good place Reed. We heart you :).....and miss you

The Starks said...

It will all work out as long as you stay close to the lord! You can do it! Just stay positive!

Joseph, Julianna, Mason and Eli said...

You're gonna love the education program. Then we'll be tied for second best teacher. (mom's first right?)